This quick and easy pasta sauce is the perfect addition to any weeknight pasta rotation. I feel like adding the words roasted red pepper to any dish gives it an allure of depth and heartiness. Well, in this case, it did both. I’ve always wanted to try roasting my own red peppers and for this pasta sauce it worked out so nicely. We started by roasting 5 red bell peppers on the grill. The hubs is obsessed with all things grill, so this worked out well for us both. You want to crank your grill up to 500 degrees. After washing and drying your peppers, add them directly to the grill. This isn’t a set it and forget it stich. You have to turn them every minute or two as the skin begins to char and flake. Keep rotating the peppers until all sides are nice and charred and the skin is a bit bubbly and flaky. This should be around 8-10 minutes.
Remove the peppers and let them rest for 10 minutes or so. Some recommend covering with foil during this process, but we left ours open-air. After 10 minutes the peppers should be cool enough to peel. You’ll want them to feel mushy and slippery. Peel the skin off, remove the stem and seeds. Add your peppers to a blender (Vitamix is our favorite kitchen utensil) along with 3 cloves of minced garlic. Your peppers should be moist and mushy enough to liquify when blended. Blend until completely smooth.
In the meantime, add the Spicy Italian Sausage to a large skillet. Brown the meat on medium-high heat and drain all but about 2 tablespoons of grease. Add 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour to the meat. Cook on medium heat until combined, around 2 minutes. Add the red pepper mixture to the pan. Bring to a simmer and add the half and half. Simmer until thick and creamy, another 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and add salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste. Add your favorite Al Dente noodles to the pan (We used our fresh made Garganelli Pasta), toss to coat and serve. We added a heavy heap of freshly grated Parmesan cheese and some chopped Italian parsley. Both hubs and I lapped this one up. Holy cow. For something so simple, it was damn delicious!
Roasted Red Pepper and Sausage Sauce
- Large, Deep Bottom Skillet
- 5 ea Red Bell Peppers
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 lb Spicy Italian Sausage loose or cases removed
- 1 1/4 Cup Half and Half
- 1 bunch Italian Parsley for topping
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese freshly grated
- 1 lb Al Dente Pasta
- Wash and dry red peppers. Set grill to 500 degrees. Add peppers directly to grill. Rotate every 2 minutes to get an even char on all sides. Grilling for 8-10 minutes total. Remove peppers and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Peel skin, remove and discard stems and seeds. Add the peppers and garlic to blender. Blend until completely smooth.
- Brown the Spicy Italian sausage in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Brown Drain all but about 2 tbsp of grease. Add 2 tbsp of flour to skillet. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add red pepper mixture to skillet. Bring to a simmer and add half and half. Simmer until thick and creamy, around 3-4 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour sauce over your favorite Al Dente pasta and toss to coat. Finish with a large helping of freshly grated Parmesan cheese and sprinkle with finely chopped Italian parsley.